Tuesday 13 November 2012

Gabar Goshawk mobbing Black Sparrowhawk



Another exciting raptor sighting from Malawi. I saw this on my first morning in the country over the campsite in Lilongwe and at the time I didn't realise it was the only time I would see either species. The Black Sparrowhawk was enormous (it is about the size of our Goshawk though looked bigger to me) and in my excitement I somehow unzoomed my lens rather than adjusted the focus - which resulted in a smaller image than would have been possible. At the time I thought the bird following it was a dove of some sort but luckily it banked around and returned to the tree it had come out of - a Gabar Goshawk (below). The other exciting raptor overhead at this site was a Bat Hawk - another brief view, but very exciting nonetheless.


No comments: