Friday 2 August 2013

Mediterranean Gulls in Edinburgh and Lisbon

Unringed adult Mediterranean Gull at Seafield, Edinburgh, 2 Aug 2013
Well, I hadn't seen a Mediterranean Gull this year so was pleased that a few were loafing on the sloping front at the Monument to the Discoveries in Lisbon earlier in the week. Just like buses, of course, as soon as I am back in Edinburgh another one pops up with this nice adult at Seafield today. That's my ninth species of gull at the site this year (GBBG, LBBG, HG, CommonG, BhG, Glauc, Kittiwake, Little Gull & Med) – here's to the tenth, whatever it may be!

Today's Med Gull (centre) enjoying the delights of the Seafield shoreline
Juvenile Mediterranean Gull in Lisbon on 28 July 2013 - not a Portuguese breeding species as far as I know... I wonder how far this one has travelled since fledging...
First summer (2CY) Mediterranean Gull in Lisbon on 28 July 2012
Mediterranean and Black-headed Gull comparison

No comments: